Pudsey Grammar School
Mount Pleasant Road
Pudsey, Leeds, LS28 7ND
Duke of Edinburgh's Award
The Duke of Edinburgh's Award was started at Pudsey Grammar School in 2015. There are three different awards; Bronze, Silver and Gold. Students enrol for Bronze award in Year 9, Silver award in Year 10 and Gold award in Year 12.
Reasons to get involved
Recent surveys suggest that increasingly employers are not just looking for good qualifications but evidence of the following personal qualities .......
Leadership, teamwork, self motivation, communication, confidence, consideration and the ability to learn
Of all the activities carried out by schools the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award came out top in the ability to demonstrate and develop these qualities. So doing the Duke of Edinburgh Award is:
- Excellent evidence for CV's, Job and University applications.
Equally important it's great fun, very rewarding and a fantastic way of gaining confidence and skills in new areas.
The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award is based on 4 sections:
- Service - Such as volunteering, fundraising for a charity of your choice, peer mentoring.
- Skill - Build up a skill in an area of your choice e.g. photography, astronomy, crafts, music,
- Physical Recreation - Show dedication and progression within a sport. Swimming, Football, Dancing etc.
- Residential for Gold only – Undertake a 5 day visit to a Residential Centre as part of a group with a common activity eg, sailing or conservation.
- Expedition - Work in a team to plan and go on an expedition for 2 days and 1 night (at Bronze level)
|Award Level||Min Age||Distance||Duration||Planned Activity||Type of Terrain|
|2 days & 1 night||Min of 6 hrs/day||Normal/Familiar|
|3 days & 2 nights||Min of 7 hrs/day||Open Unfamiliar|
|4 days & 3 nights||Min of 8 hrs/day||Open/Wild/Unfamiliar|
Bronze Expedition Training:
Information regarding expedition training and the actual expedition will be published when the information has been released.
For more information visit the Duke of Edinburgh website at http://www.dofe.org